School evacuated for gas leak

SEBASTIAN — A high school was temporarily evacuated early Wednesday because of a leak from a gas line, according to School District of Indian River County officials.

Shortly before 11 a.m. Wednesday, an on-site contractor at Sebastian River High School was working on an expansion of the band music room when he hit a gas line, school district spokeswoman Cristen McMillan said. The line was immediately turned off by custodial staff.

Students were evacuated from the high school, 9001 Shark Blvd., Sebastian, under normal fire drill procedures and moved a certain number of yards away from the building, McMillan said. Indian River County Fire Rescue responded immediately to the scene.

Once fire crews cleared the scene, the students were allowed to go back inside. The students were waiting outside about 15 minutes, said Fire Rescue spokesman Assistant Chief Brian Burkeen.

The high school has about 1,850 students, none of whom were near the gas line when it leaked, McMillan said.

Related Articles

Comments are closed.