INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — Undercover juveniles out of school for the Thanksgiving holiday spent their free time helping deputies track down stores that illegally sold alcohol and tobacco to minors, authorities said.
“Enforcement details are important to ensure our local retailers are in compliance with laws,” Indian River County Sheriff Deryl Loar said in a statement. “We regularly receive complaints about stores selling these items illegally. We will not tolerate illegal sales to minors.”
The undercover sting led to six arrests and six store citations, deputies said. Further details on those arrested were not immediately available.
The Indian River County Sheriff’s Office school resource team conducted compliance checks Monday at 58 stores. Authorities said two stores illegally sold alcohol to the minors, while four stores sold tobacco.
Here are the stores cited for illegal sales:
- Rocket Convenience Store, 1940 S US1 – Sale of alcohol to a minor
- Garcia’s, 600 6th Avenue, Unit 10 – Sale of alcohol to a minor
- Fellsmere Grocery, 106 N Broadway – Sale of tobacco to a minor
- Chevron, 9495 108th Avenue – Sale of tobacco to a minor
- BP Gas, 10950 CR 512 – Sale of tobacco to a minor
- Hometown Hess, 4105 US 1 – Sale of tobacco to a minor