Cigarette sparks 8-acre brush fire in South County

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — A discarded cigarette is to blame for an 8-acre brush fire in the area of 82nd Avenue and Oslo Road in South County that took three hours to extinguish, fire officials said.

Fire Chief Brian Nolan said that winds, dry conditions and discarded diesel tanks hampered the effort. The call was received at 1 p.m. Three fire engines, three brush trucks and a medical unit were called to the scene, Nolan said.

Fire officials will conduct a “fire watch” through the evening to be sure the fire does not rekindle, Nolan said.

There were no injuries or structures damaged reported.

Related Articles

Comments are closed.