We’re Recruiting Volunteers!
United Way of Indian River County’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) helps over 1,000 people a year file their taxes and receive thousands of dollars in tax credits and refunds — for free!
We’re seeking volunteers to prepare tax returns for individuals and families with low-to-moderate incomes at multiple locations across our community. Available positions include tax preparers, clerical assistants, greeters, and interpreters.
The benefits of becoming a VITA volunteer include:
- Free IRS training and materials to help you develop a lifelong skill and build your resume
- Flexible dates and times convenient to your schedule
- Ongoing support
- Continuing Education Credits for eligible volunteers
- Certificate of Recognition and Letter of Appreciation from the IRS at the end of the tax season
- Meet new friends and neighbors
- And the personal satisfaction you’ll gain from providing an essential service to your community.
Volunteers are encouraged to participate in the three-day training program offered at the United Way Center, January 11 through January 13. Volunteers can also work toward the self-paced, self-test option upon request. Certified volunteers must commit to at least 4 to 8 hours a week from mid-January through April 2024. If you would like to volunteer or for more information, please fill out a volunteer application online or contact Deana Shatley at (772) 567-8900 ext. 114.