Site icon Vero News

Family displaced after Monday apartment fire

Indian River County Fire Rescue [FILE]

VERO BEACH — A family of six – including four children – were displaced after a Monday apartment fire that sparked in the laundry room, officials said.

The blaze ignited about 8 p.m. Monday at Shadowbrook of Vero Apartments on 41st Avenue, Vero Beach police said. Police said the flames were contained to the laundry room on the east side of the apartment unit.

A neighbor put out the flames with a fire extinguisher, an incident report shows. Indian River County Fire Rescue crews responded to the scene.

The apartment was deemed uninhabitable because of smoke damage, along with the power being shut off, Red Cross South Florida Region Executive Director Jennifer Durrant said. Red Cross was assisting the family financially to replace lost items, buy food and find shelter.

Exit mobile version