Family of 4 displaced after Monday kitchen fire in Gifford

FILE PHOTO

GIFFORD — A family of four was displaced after a kitchen fire ignited inside their single-family home Monday evening, fire rescue crews said. The grease fire sparked from the stovetop.

No injuries were reported from the incident, Indian River County Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Roger Dion said. Dion said the fire was determined to be accidental.

The blaze left significant fire damage in the kitchen and heavy smoke throughout the residence, Dion said. Authorities cut off power to the home because of the damage.

Dion said the residence was deemed uninhabitable. Red Cross South Florida Region was helping the family with financial assistance, health and mental services, and other forms of support.

The fire ignited about 6 p.m. Monday at the home in the 4500 block of 57th Avenue, just north of 45th Street. The family evacuated the residence before fire crews arrived.

Dion said fire crews went in the home and saw billows of smoke. Firefighters extinguished the flames within 10 minutes, Dion said.

Related Articles

Comments are closed.