Family, pets displaced after home fire; no injuries reported

FILE PHOTO

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — A family of two – along with three pets – were displaced after a grease fire left flames and smoke throughout their home, officials said.

No injuries were reported, Indian River County Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Joe Kovaleski said.

A woman living at the home called 911 about 2 p.m. Thursday to report the blaze, Kovaleski said. A man, two dogs and a lizard were also staying at the single-family residence.

Fire crews went to the home in the 1200 block of 37th Avenue Southwest, south of Oslo Road and southeast of Publix Super Market at South Point.

The blaze – contained to the kitchen – scorched the stove, refrigerator and a wall. Firefighters extinguished the flames in a few minutes, Kovaleski said.

The kitchen had heavy fire damage, while the entire residence had smoke damage, Kovaleski said. The home was deemed uninhabitable and in need of repairs.

Red Cross South Florida Region was assisting the family with finding shelter, Kovaleski said. No other homes were threatened from the fire.

Related Articles

Comments are closed.