Cleveland Clinic Florida has developed a program to support caregivers during the COVID-19 pandemic. The program includes services for all caregivers and some services are specific to caregivers working on the frontlines who are caring for patients. Cleveland Clinic Florida leaders believe that all caregivers play a critical role in ensuring quality patient care and want to support their mental and physical health and well-being during the pandemic.
The program includes a number of benefits and range from a variety of services, from discount programs, to hotel accommodations to self-care. In addition, Cleveland Clinic Florida has committed to maintaining pay and benefits for all caregivers and has reassigned employees to other areas if their role has been suspended as a result of COVID-19.
“Providing world-class care involves employees at all levels throughout our organization and that means that all of our caregivers need to feel supported,” said Wael Barsoum, MD, CEO and President of Cleveland Clinic Florida. “At Cleveland Clinic, we strongly believe that taking care of our caregivers mentally, emotionally, financially and physically will, in turn, help us provide better care for patients. These programs are designed to relieve stress and anxiety during this unprecedented time.”
Caregivers across Cleveland Clinic Florida facilities can take advantage of the following benefits, among others:
- COVID-19 Caregivers: For caregivers who test positive, Cleveland Clinic Florida is committed to helping them as much as possible by delivering meals and care packages, running errands on their behalf, and providing and paying for hotel accommodations.
- Caregiver Support Housing: Cleveland Clinic Florida will offer caregivers who provide direct patient care with hotel options and pay for accommodations to minimize the risk of exposure to those caregivers’ families and loved ones
- Childcare Services: Childcare resources have been made available to caregivers who need these services
- COVID-19 Hotline for Caregivers: A hotline has been established to provide information on steps Cleveland Clinic Florida is taking, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) utilization, occupational health guidelines, and operational updates.
- Relaxation Station: The relaxation station is an area that has been designated for caregivers that includes massage chairs for stress relief—while social distancing. All areas are sanitized after individual use.
- Meditation Classes: Caregivers can participate in meditation classes that include chair yoga and reflexology. The number of participants per class is limited to ensure that social distancing guidelines are kept
- Art Therapy: Art therapy classes are available to caregivers to help relieve anxiety
- Discounts for Healthcare Employees: A directory of discounts to restaurants and local businesses is available to all caregivers.
- Gratitude Board: A portal for all workers has been setup to recognize caregivers who are going above and beyond and, and to receive messages of appreciation and encouragement.
- Cleveland Clinic Florida First-Responder Funds: A new philanthropic program has been developed to benefit caregivers and first responders across South Florida and the Treasure Coast who are on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Cleveland Clinic Regional Caregiver Hardship Program, and the First Responder Hardship Program, will provide financial support to caregivers and first responders who are experiencing a temporary financial hardship due to COVID-19 and wish to request consideration for financial assistance. Both are funded by charitable donations from generous individuals in our local communities. Allocations will be distributed based on fund availability.
The community can now also directly support Cleveland Clinic caregivers across the region by donating supplies/PPE, gift cards, meals, and even blood through a Community Response program. Individuals may also support by donating money to the First Responders Hardship Fund program.
Full details about donations can be found at give.ccf.org/covid19.
About the Cleveland Clinic Florida region
The Cleveland Clinic Florida region is a nonprofit, multi-specialty healthcare provider that integrates clinical and hospital care with research and education. The Florida region now includes Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Martin Health, and Cleveland Clinic Weston Hospital, with five hospitals and numerous outpatient centers in Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie and Indian River Counties. The Florida region is an integral part of Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, where providing outstanding patient care is based upon the principles of cooperation, compassion and innovation. Physicians at Cleveland Clinic are experts in the treatment of complex conditions that are difficult to diagnose. For more information about Cleveland Clinic Florida, visit www.clevelandclinicflorida.org. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.