Once again, the Port St. Lucie Police Department is urging residents to remove valuables from their vehicles and lock their cars following a string of smash-and-grab burglaries throughout the city.
Between April 24 and May 8, police have responded to no less than five such incidents in public parking lots, including three in St. Lucie West.
Among the items taken are purses, phones, headphones, a GPS device, an iPhone, and even a book.
Whether the work is that of one vandal or several remains under investigation. Surveillance footage from one incident – at Gold’s Gym in St. Lucie West – shows a suspect vehicle with two black males inside. The vehicle is described as a black Nissan Juke.
“The Port St. Lucie Police Department is reminding citizens to remove all valuables from their cars both at home and when they are parking in public parking lots,” the agency released in a statement to the public.
Police are asking those with any information on any of the following cases to call the Port St. Lucie Police Department at 772-871-5001, Detective Chris Capozzi at 772-873-5230, or Treasure Coast Crime Stoppers at 1-800-273 TIPS.
The incidents are as follows:
- Applebee’s, 10501 S US 1 – April 24 between 4-7:30 p.m. – Smashed window, purse stolen.
- LA Fitness, 1367 NW St. Lucie West Blvd. – April 30 between 7-9:13 p.m. – Two cars, smashed windows – headphone, GPS, radio, and book stolen.
- LA Fitness, 1367 NW St. Lucie West Blvd. – May 8 between 9:35-11:32 a.m. – Smashed window, purse and iPhone stolen.
- Gold’s Gym, 250 NW Peacock Blvd. – May 8 between 6-7 p.m. – Two cars, smashed windows, purses and headphones stolen.
- Swan Park, 700 SW Carmelite Street – May 8 between 6-8:50 p.m. – Smashed window, two purses stolen.