GIFFORD — A business fire that led to the evacuation of several scrapyard employees began from the workers cutting up catalytic converters, authorities said. Sparks from the converters spread to flammable fuel and tires, which then erupted in flames.
“It spread very quickly,” Indian River County Fire Rescue spokesman Cory Richter said. No injuries were reported, Richter said.
Fire rescue crews responded to the blaze about 3:30 p.m. Thursday at Indian River U-Pull-It, a scrapyard in the 4600 block of 45th Street, Richter said. The metal building was engulfed in flames and big black smoke billowed from the facility when fire crews got the 911 call.
*Note for videos: Click the audio icon in the lower right hand corner for sound. If that doesn’t work, try refreshing the page.
Indian River County Fire Rescue crews extinguished a fire at a Gifford scrapyard business Thursday. The fire started after workers were cutting up catalytic converters and sparks caught fire to flammable fuel and tires, Spokesman Cory Richter said. No injuries were reported. #VeroNews
Posted by Nick Samuel on Thursday, April 19, 2018
The three employees inside tried to knock down the flames with a fire extinguisher, but were unsuccessful, Richter said. The employees, all men, evacuated the building, Richter said.
The mens’ ages were not immediately available.
Fire rescue crews extinguished the blaze about 5 p.m., Richter said. One lane on 45th Street was still blocked at 43rd Avenue shortly before 6 p.m.
The state fire marshal is at the scene investigating the incident.
Photos by Indian River County Fire Rescue.
This story will be updated.