VERO BEACH — The Moorings Yacht Club, The Miami Coast Guard base, the US Customs & Immigration Dept. and the Indian River Sheriff’s office are coordinating a very exciting event to promote boating safety, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13 at The Moorings Yacht Club.
To make boaters aware of Coast Guard, Customs and Sheriff’s Dept. operations to protect Treasure Coast Boaters these groups will present live hands-on instruction and demonstrations (sea rescue included) and seminars on various topics during the event.
Participants will see and learn about:
• Procedures of air sea rescue (live in the water helicopter rescues)
• Life raft deployment (live in our pool)
• Different types and how to use EPIRB devices
• How to select the must have safety and emergency equipment for your boat.
• How to prepare your boat to be stopped and inspected
• Emergency flare usage (participants are asked to bring their expired flares)
• Drug and human trafficking along the Treasure Coast (Customs and Immigration presentation)
A variety of equipment will be on display and used in the demonstrations and instruction. This will include a Coast Guard H65 Dolphin helicopter, a Coast Guard Cutter, Sheriff’s patrol boat, deployable life raft, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) devices, personal flotation devices, and more. West Marine and other local providers will have displays on site.
This event is important whether you are new to boating or experienced and need to be updated on the latest safety equipment and techniques. This information might help safe a life!
Call 772-231-1008 to register for this event. The $18 registration fee includes a special Moorings Club lunch.