FELLSMERE — Several dozen people kicked off Fellsmere’s 100th anniversary early with dancing in the street and parking lot near Marsh Landing Restaurant Friday evening.
“We thought it would be interesting,” said Sebastian resident Betsye Stevens, who came out to the Fellsmere Street Dance with her husband, Guy. “We don’t have a special reason.”
They took advantage of the live music with what they called “redneck slow-dancing” – a dance described as done with beer in hand.
The Spare Change Band provided the entertainment as the crowd gathered to chat, dance and otherwise have fun.
In the crowd was Fellsmere Mayor Susan Adams, who said she is in an “awe-inspiring position” to be the mayor at a time when the city celebrates its centennial.
“This is the most awesome, most amazing city,” she said. “How do I convey that connection? It’s the coolest place ever.”
Though excited every year with the city’s annual Fellsmere Day celebration, this year is particularly special, she said.
“There’s a lot of weight,” Adams said of the pressure to make especially sure that the city puts on a top-notch event to showcase the city.
“This year is Fellsmere’s year,” she added, explaining that this was the year the Frog Leg Festival turned 20 and the year the city turned 100.
“What else could we cram into the year?” Adams asked, laughing.
The Fellsmere Day celebration gets started Saturday morning at 7 o’clock with a pancake breakfast put on by the Fellsmere Lions Club.
The annual parade goes through town starting at 11 a.m. and a host of other activities, including historical tours, a lecture, and the Little Mr. and Miss Fellsmere Pageant.
Fellsmere Riding Club President Wayne Henderson said the club plans on participating in the parade Saturday.
“I’m proud to be a part of it,” he said of the festivities. “You’re only 100 years old once.”
Fellsmere Day Celebration Schedule:
- 7-10 a.m. – Fellsmere Lions Club Pancake Breakfast
- 11 a.m. – Food, craft and informational booths open
- 11 a.m. – Fellsmere Day Parade starts
- 12:30-2:30 p.m. – Atlantic Bluegrass band performs
- 1 p.m. – Historical tours begin
- 2:30 p.m. – Flag Raising Ceremony
- 2:45 p.m. – Grand Marshal Presentation – Marsh Landing Restaurant owner Fran Adams
- 3-4 p.m. – Dedication of the Old Fellsmere School
- 4-4:15 p.m. – Fellsmere Folkloric Dancers
- 4:15-5 p.m. – Little Mr./Miss Fellsmere Pageant
- 5-5:15 p.m. – Our Lady of Guadalupe Dancers
- 5-6 p.m. – Fellsmere Historical Lecture in Old School auditorium
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. – Herencia Norteña Mexican band performs
- 7:30 p.m. – Piñata contest
- 7:30-9:30 p.m. – Nouveaux Honkies band performs
- 9:30 p.m. – Laser Light Show